All PDM Systems use attributes (Metadata) to describe their content.
Managing descriptive information for your CAD data can be done in an easy and consistent way!
All PDM Systems use attributes (Metadata) to describe their content. These are in the most basic case a number or the filename of the object. That's also the case in Windchill PDMLink.
In addition to this basic information you can describe your models with text that describes what that model is, what it does and so on. Usually this is done using the standard Parameter Editor of Creo Parametric. This has the downside that users are not assisted when they enter data, which language to use, which parameters to create and many more things. Based on this information objects can then be retrieved from the PDM system. You can imagine how difficult it would be to search for all variations of "BOLT" when some people may have written "BLT" or "BOTL" without being corrected. Here you can read an interesting article about the use of controlled vocabulary.
Attribute Editor, a component of the nexiles|companion, allows designers to describe their models easily and in a consistent manner. The nexiles|companion is a fully integrated application in Creo Parametric which connects to the active model and lists the attribute fields for this kind of model. All displayed fields support the user while entering data.
Some key benefits of using Attribute Editor of nexiles|companion are:
- One place to manage attribute information in Creo Parametric
- Fast and responsive User Interface supporting users in managing attribute data
- Classification system controlling the attribute fields displayed for the defined classification
- Centralized configuration file common for all users
- Selection lists, Calendar Date picker, Auto-suggestion lists, Database look-ups etc.
- Data validation using regular expressions to verify if the user has entered the data in the correct format
- Auto-translation of field data into a defined set of languages
Limiting the amount of fields the user has to fill out by providing:
- pre-filled fields based on common project- and user settings
- pre-filled fields based on the Creo Parametric session environment
- No client installation - one URL is enough.